[6bone] Cisco bug ?

Raphael Bouaziz raphit@noemie.org
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 15:59:59 +0100

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002, Gert Doering wrote:
> If the router is doing v4 plus v6 and eventually v4 multicast, I can't
> recommend any image to you.  All 12.2T images that I've heard of are
> broken for that purpose.

We run IPv4 and IPv6 on 12.2(2)T2, with OSPF plus BGP (for IPv4) and RIPng
plus BGP4+ (for IPv6). We didn't experience major issues. Routers include
Cisco 7120 and Cisco 7206VXR.

By the way, there is some minor or "cosmetic" bugs, such as when I do
a "show conf" on the router I get:

!
router bgp 13193
[... IPv4 stuff ...]
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: remote-as 13193
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: description * thevenin (iBGP) *
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: update-source Loopback0
 no neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: activate
[...]
 !
 address-family ipv6
[...]
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: activate
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: send-community
 neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: soft-reconfiguration inbound
[...]

Obviously, I didn't enter a "no neighbor 2001:7A8:0:3:: activate"
command in the BGP global configuration mode... But BGP4+ is working
fine.

Also, IPv6 is "almost" working on port-channel interfaces. Almost,
because IGP activates on the interface and prefixes are received,
but no traffic can go through the interface. But for now, using four
IPv6 hops to reach a system when I use only three hops to reach
the same system with its IPv4 address is not really critical.

For me, the most important point is that today, IPv6 on the routers
is not disturbing the IPv4 "production" traffic. So this image serves
my business ;-).

--
Raphael Bouaziz.
raphit@noemie.org - http://noemie.nerim.net/