[6bone] Roadmap to IPv6 multihoming: no PI addresses.

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu, 23 May 2002 16:56:35 -0700

Robert,

>> If you need a /48, you have more than 64k subnets.

> Robert Kiessling wrote:
> Right, if you make full use of them. But bear in mind that in
> IPv6 aggregation wins over conservation. A suitable hierarchy
> "wastes" a lot of address space. Thus the H ratio was chosen as a
> better approach to measure utilisation, taking into account
> aggregation and hierarchy, and in my understanding you wouldn't
> actually need 64k subnets to justify a larger assignment, but
> rather about 7k.

Agree. For 65k actual subnets, we are talking about a /45 or so.

>> It appears dangerous to me configuring a network that size with
>> addresses that belongs to a LIR, even if you actually own the LIR.

> So you question the very principle of PA addresses.

You misunderstand me, I don't. It is one of the necessary building
blocks. I question the business sense and timing of building today a 7k+
subnets network in the lack of a multihoming solution and by getting
married to a provider.

Michel.