[6bone] Roadmap to IPv6 multihoming: no PI addresses.

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
24 May 2002 00:44:17 +0000

"Michel Py" <michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> writes:

> Thanks for the precision. It would be interesting to follow up how
> many of these are allocated, as it makes little sense to me.

Just look at the respective whois databases.

> If you need a /48, you have more than 64k subnets.

Right, if you make full use of them. But bear in mind that in IPv6
aggregation wins over conservation. A suitable hierarchy "wastes" a
lot of address space. Thus the H ratio was chosen as a better approach
to measure utilisation, taking into account aggregation and hierarchy,
and in my understanding you wouldn't actually need 64k subnets to
justify a larger assignment, but rather about 7k.

> It appears dangerous to me configuring a network that size with
> addresses that belongs to a LIR, even if you actually own the LIR.

So you question the very principle of PA addresses. Well, I don't feel
like arguing about that.

Robert