[6bone] Roadmap to IPv6 multihoming: no PI addresses.

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu, 23 May 2002 13:10:31 -0700

Robert,

==> - IPv6 End User Site Assignment Request Form in the RIPE
==>    NCC Service Region (for prefixes shorter than a /48)

> Robert Kiessling wrote:
> Not at all. This is for very large sites for which an assignment of
> /48 is too small. It is still PA, without any signs of PI, apart from
> *possibly* the size of the netblock which *might* make it more likely
> to be accepted globally. But that is not under the RIRs' control.

Thanks for the precision. It would be interesting to follow up how many of these are allocated, as it makes little sense to me. If you need a /48, you have more than 64k subnets. It appears dangerous to me configuring a network that size with addresses that belongs to a LIR, even if you actually own the LIR.

If my memory is correct, the feds forced WorldCom to sell CWnet a while ago, leaving some parts of MCI to renumber.

Michel.