[6bone] 6Bone registry entries when multihomed?

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Tue, 21 May 2002 20:34:30 +0200

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 08:17:38AM -0700, Michel Py wrote:
| > Itojun wrote:
| > they should be used locally within certain pTLAs, not globally.
| > also do not forget that 6bone is interconnected with worldwide
| > IPv6 network (including commercially-operated network), and
| > there's no well-defined boundary.  therefore, my recommendation
| > is:
| > - do not advertise private ASNs beyond pTLA/sTLA boundary
|
| I completely agree with the above.
|
| > why would you advertise private ASN onto the 6bone whois?
| > - to remove/forbid private ASN from 6bone whois.
|
| Why not having accurate information in the 6bone database? We are not
| talking about a xTLA peering with a private ASN, but about a site
| peering with a xTLA that can use remove-private-as.
Can, but doesn't, as has been visible in the global routing tables
for many months now.

I normally don't engage in personal flames, but this has been on my
chest for a looong time. I'm sure other members of the 6bone community
will agree with me, so here goes (my 2 cents worth of rant).

Deffayet claims 'RIPE wont give him an AS' but this is only logical
as he does not operate an autonomous system, nor is he a LIR, rather
two or three cablemodems at residential sites.

He may (naturally) do what he pleases, however he has been asked by
numerous people not to have his AS show up all around the place, but
he simply blames his uplinks for not filtering them out.

My opinion is that he is using private-as numbers to gain global
visibility and not for any other purpose. I might as well filter off
those pTLAs that are not well behaving then, or shall I go to the
root of the problem ?

AS65526 is giving transit to others, which is completely ludicrous.
This shows up in the looking glass at AS8954:
   Network                       Path
   *  3ffe:82a0::/28             15589 12337 15671 65526 7521 i

Now apparently AS15671 is non-well behaved (therefor the CC to their
contact), and it is leaking this as-path into its peers.

Looking at the prefixes that AS15671 announces regularly, Deffayet's
aren't amongst them. This leads me to believe that Deffayet is not
using a private AS number to establish a session with his uplinks (he
has three), but simply to circumvent the RIR policies which denied
him an AS number (for, I might add, obvious reasons!).

Now I ask again: can you please clean up the mess you are making ?

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl