[6bone] Re: Internal Address Space

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:31:48 -0700

> Stephen Degler wrote:
> Given the immediate future will continue to be Windows Impaired
> as well, its completely possible (and unfortunately, necessary)
> to establish a "soft chewy center" model with routeable addresses
> on the inside. Stateful firewalls are your friend.

Stateful firewalls are not good as they used to be. There are various
mechanisms that allow to bypass them these days and it's not getting
better. I would not be surprised to see an IE plugin to circumvent
firewalls soon. The best way to secure a host is to use a link-local or
site-local only address and go to a proxy (yuck).

Michel.