about IPv6 PPPoE

Christian Kuhtz ck@arch.bellsouth.net
Wed, 1 May 2002 08:55:50 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:57:22PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
[..]
>   Remember that this is 6bone@isi.edu. A major thing about IPv6 is that it
> restores end-to-end. That means that I don't necessarily care how
> oversubscribed the uplink is - IF I AM PHONING MY NEIGHBOUR.
>
>   This nonsense of underengineering the local loop is all about turning us
> into consumers, not users. Consumers can cope with web browsers, there is no
> demand for end-to-end connectivity.
>   IPv4+NAT+web proxies is all a consumer needs to shop.

*sigh*

none of this has to do anything with technology, much less with ipv6.

it's simply the result of capacity planning and marketeering.  from
a techology standpoint anything's possible.

less oversubscription means increased cost to the customer.  if the
customer's willing to pay for it and there is enough demand to make
it worthwhile spinning up yet-another-dsl-product to meet the demand.

it's very simple to do it.  in fact, different grades of business dsl
already exist from us, and i believe different grades of consumer dsl
are in the works or already deployed (i don't always keep up with the
launch of every gazillionth dsl product, sorry ;).

can we kill this hopeless thread now please? ;)