IOS next-hop trouble

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:21:10 +0100

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments.

| If the Juniper is running JUNOS 5.1 this is a known bug; I don't have the
| PR number handy but I can get it from my archives tomorrow. It appeared
| cosmetic but we did fix it by upgrading to 5.2.
This Juniper, afaik is running JunOS 5.2. It's not mine though, but I do
know the operator, who is also on this list. Hi, Erik :-)

| However, that fix, or some other related change in 5.2, will tickle a bug
| in some versions of IOS and cause v4 multicast BGP to break. The symptom
| we observed was the BGP session establishing and immediately closing down,
| but working once we disabled multicast. We fixed that by upgrading that
| particular Cisco, which was on a ~1 year old IOS; if your boxes are all
| recent you shouldn't have a problem. I can dig up that bug number as well
| if you're interested.
My box is running an IOS dated 03/03/2002 :) (12.2-8.5-T) on the c7200
platform. No multicast on that box (BGP session is up, mind you,
everything works fine except for those log entries)

groet,
Pim
--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl