IPv6 address of a Windows machine on the LAN

Christian Hahn hahn@berkom.de
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:43:41 +0100

Hi,

the global IPv6 address of an IPv6 interface is build using the prefix for
the first 64bit and the EUI-64 interface address for the last 64bit.
The EUI-64 address is build using the MAC address of the interface and a padding of bits
to make it 64bit long. You can figure out your global interface address on
W2k using the ipv6 tools that are installed with the ipv6 stack. Type "ipv6
if" on the command line and it shows all IPv6 interfaces of the machine,
usally 4. Interface 4 is normally the global interface where you can
find your unique global address you can use for pinging.

--

regards
Christian

Christian Hahn