pTLA request for ASNET - review closes 29 March 2002

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:50:31 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Saw-Shung Hung wrote:

> > IMO, instead of you, shouldn't 'TANet' be requesting the block?
>
> 	No, TANet can request their own pTLA, and we can too.
> 	We are just a member of TANet, but TANet did not own ASNET.

Sure.. the question is, however, who should be given one.

> > If I understand correctly, you're basically just one university.. if so,
> > we definitely should not go down that road.
>
> 	No, we definitely are NOT a "Universtiy".
>
> 	A brief introdution can be found at this url
>
> 	http://www.sinica.edu.tw/as/asbrief.html
>
> 	"Academia Sinica, founded in 1928, is the most prominent
> 	academic institution in the Republic of China. While affiliated
> 	directly to the Presidential Office of R.O.C., Academia Sinica
> 	enjoys independence and autonomy in formulating its own research
> 	objectives. Its major tasks are to undertake in-depth academic
> 	research on various subjects in the sciences and humanities, and
> 	to provide guidelines, channels of coordination, and incentives
> 	with a view to raising academic standards in the country."

So, you seem to be a research facility.

"Normal" scheme is that there is a network connectivity provider for
academic facilities (be they universties, research centers, etc.) in a
country.  In your case, I assumed that was TAnet.  Giving such an operator
a pTLA is sound, giving one to each university or equivalent is not.