(6bone) IETF-53 meeting (was (ngtrans) final ngtrans agenda for IETF-53 in Minneapolis)

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:50:59 +0100

Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 bmanning@karoshi.com wrote:
> >  I am saddened by the thought that we move away from "where everyone
> > peers nicely with others" to something else.  Why is this useful or
> > desiarable?
>
> Because, particulatly in 6bone, connectivity is _crap_.
>
> For example, with BGP AS-PATH length of 2, I don't want to see my
packets
> go from Finland to USA and from there back to Europe.
>
> This or something similar happens if:
>
> 1) lots of organizations give transit to lots of organizations
("ad-hoc network")

> and
>
> 2) tunneling over longer distances is not strongly frowned upon.

That's why IPng.nl doesn't peer with anybody in sight, as it will break
BGP.
Peering with a party only happens if it will really matter in
connectivity (speed/latency).
Just like in the current IPv4 world.

I've recently started collection all publicly available AS path view's
on the web at:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/IPng/IPv6_Route_Views/

IPv6 capable public traceroute sites at:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/IPng/IPv6_Traceroute_Ser
vers/

and more IPv6 related things at:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/IPng/

There you can see many different views onto the IPv6 internet, yes I
don't say 6bone... as it's an IPv6 internet.
Most route views (created mostly by the great ASpath utility from TILAB)
will show a seperate 6bone and 'other' view.
Where the 6bone is the testing&playground and the 'other' is mostly 2001
(production ripe/apnic/arin) & 2002 (6to4) space.
For the 6bone it currently is quite common to peer with anyone possible
just for the heck of it, mostly without realizing that it breaks BGP.
Maybe there should be some kind of guideline or hint so that everybody
knows and understands how and what it breaks.
Something along the line of 'party (pTLA/sTLA/*) _should_ only peer with
another party if it improves their connectivity' but afaik this is
already in the RFC's ;)

Just my 0.1 euro's.

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: If one has more links for the IPng category on dmoz.org don't be shy
to send them along ;)