(6bone) IETF-53 meeting (was (ngtrans) final ngtrans agenda for IETF-53 in Minneapolis)

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:52:42 -0800

Bill,

> Bill Manning wrote:
> I am saddened by the thought that we move away from "where
> everyone peers nicely with others" to something else.  Why
> is this useful or desirable?

It's not useful neither desirable. The point I will be trying to make is that it will happen at some point (don't get me wrong, I don't like it either, but the business model where everyone provides IPv6 transit for free is not going to last forever). In fact, some of the questions I plan to ask the floor for the purpose of triggering thinking about them are (roughly):

1. Is the evolution of the IPv6 backbone (pushed by market forces) to a v4-like tiered system unavoidable?
2. Is it the role of the 6bone or the IETF to think about it and possibly recommend something about it.

Michel.