[6bone] ifconfig and EUI-64

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:55:40 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Does anyone know why exactly the ifconfig programs for the BSDs, Linux
   and most probably Solaris are not able to autoconfigure their own
   addresses, by not using the RS/RA schema, but a local autoconfiguration
   such as the Cisco IOS:

=> note that Ciscos are usually routers so can't use RS/RA.

   interface FastEthernet0/0
    ipv6 enable
    ipv6 address 2001:7b8:4:1234::/64 eui-64
   !

   which will let the fa0/0 device figure out its own address using the
   lower order 64 bits of its linklocal address in the specified prefix.

=> EUI-64 should be from the MAC address not from the link-local address
but I agree the intended behavior is not well reflected by the name.

   This behavior is missing in the Unix world and I for one would like to
   see it implemented. Anybody against this ?

=> I like to have this and the possibility to explicitely set the link-local
address too.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr