[6bone] Re: routing concern

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:12:55 -0700

> Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> There is a problem when production services are being
> reached via a network which is not stable (like 6bone is
> today). I am not saying it is bad that 6bone is not
> stable. I just think 6bone should become a network for
> doing IPv6 related experiments only, no production.

This is the way it's supposed to be already. The 6bone should *not* be
used for production. The problem is that people actually use it for
production.

>> Do you really want to create an island out of the
>> production v6  network?  Do you want folks on production
>> v6 address space to not be able to reach 6bone prefixes?

> No, and these are not related. There can be connections
> to and from the 6bone. But the routing must be setup in
> a way that you never reach production prefixes via the
> 6bone (when your origin is not the 6bone).

Problem is, the infrastructure does not exist yet for this. To some
extent, if the tunneling system did not exist there will be no IPv6
production because there will be too many isolated IPv6 islands.

> I want an IPv6 network which is *at least* as reliable as the
> IPv4 network is *today*.

Simple. Build it.

Michel.