[6bone] Re: routing concern

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:13:36 -0700

> Robert J. Rockell wrote:
> -sprint messed up their configs

As I said before, the 6bone is the right place for this. Has anyone been
hurt? Anyone lost money? The lessons we collectively learn each time
someone messes up a route are far more valuable than the consequences of
messing up the route.

Can anyone here say they never messed up a config anyway?

> -most of 6bone was still loose enough to see it.
> While I take full responsibility for this, this is a good
> learning experience. If you saw this bad route, you were not
> filtering correctly (as sprint was not).

There is a phenomenon that we should not ignore here:

I saw the route. The reason I did not filter it is not because I don't
know how to, but because it is more interesting to me to actually see
that kind of thing rather than filtering it.

I don't think I'm the only one. As long as the curiosity / learning
factor is more important than occasional problems, it is unfortunate to
say that we might continue to see loose filtering.

> Perhaps a testiment to the work that still needs to be done, if
> only to provide a baseline from which we can actually address the
> issues with multi-homing, aggregation, etc.. (i.e. we haven't even
> been sufficiently responsible to properly show how broken ipv6 is
> at this point).

Concur.

As this appears to be a genuine "fat fingers" mistake, my take on it is
as follows:
I know exactly what I'm doing when I don't filter the route. If *my*
IPv6 routing goes down because Rob made a mistake, it's my fault
(because I did not filter) and not Rob's (because mistakes do happen).

Michel.