[6bone] Reverse Delegations for ARIN IPv6 Registrations

Richard Jimmerson richardj@arin.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:19:20 -0400

When ARIN begin allocating IPv6 address space in 1999, reverse
delegations were being made under the ip6.int domain. Since that
time, the ip6.arpa domain was established, and ARIN began the
process of transitioning reverse DNS for IPv6 address space from
the ip6.int to ip6.arpa on a request basis. In December 2001,
existing registrants were contacted about this matter, and
several delegations were added to ARIN's ip6.arpa sub-domain.
At that time, we decided against replicating all the ip6.int
delegations in ip6.arpa as default behavior to prevent lame
delegations.

Sufficient time has passed to allow registrants the opportunity
to make this transition. There has also been some confusion about
when delegations are made in ip6.arpa as opposed to ip6.int.
Therefore, beginning today, ARIN will begin making the appropriate
delegations for its IPv6 address space registrations in both
domains.

We hope this clarifies the situation, and we would be happy to
address any concerns this might raise.

Best Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations