[6bone] pTLA for Teredo testing - review closes 7 August 2002

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:17:36 -0700

6boner,

> Bob Fink wrote:
> Christian Huitema has requested a pTLA allocation for
> Teredo ("Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs") service.
> I believe this request should be reviewed and discussed
> for approval.

I am favorable to allocating a 6bone /32 for Teredo testing.

> Thomas Narten wrote:
> This seems like a different kind of experiment then just
> providing basic IPv6 connectivity (which is what pTLAs are
> normally assigned for). Thus, it would be good to understand
> how/when *this* particular experiment ends, as opposed to
> just the generic "it must end when all of the 3FEE::/16
> experimentation ends.

I also agree with Thomas. As a matter of fact, I think that "special
purpose" (read, not pTLAs in the conventional use) 6bone assignments
should be renewed regularly.

I will be requesting a 6bone testing block soon myself, my idea was a
block renewed every year or every other year. The sunset of an
experiment should be either when there has been enough experience
acquired through the 6bone to request a block from IANA, or when the
experiment has stopped.

Michel.