[6bone] pTLA for Teredo testing - review closes 7 August 2002

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:23:05 -0700

Thomas,

At 09:30 AM 7/25/2002 -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
> > Christian Huitema has requested a pTLA allocation for Teredo ("Tunneling
> > IPv6 over UDP through NATs") service. I believe this request should be
> > reviewed and discussed for approval.
>
>I'd like to better understand:
>
>- what is being requested exactly. Will any prefix of length /32 or
>   shorter work? (this is a purely technical question)
>
>- What will this allocation be used for? experimentation and testing?
>   Note that 6bone addresses are intended for experimentation, and must
>   be returned at some point in the future. Thus, if this allocation
>   will in practice be used in some sort of permanent sense (e.g.,
>   hardcoded in to-be-shipped products), using a pTLA seems
>   inappropriate.

In the pTLA review announcement the requesting email from Christian (see
below) was included. It states an experimental /32.

I do not know if it will be hardcoded.

I believe that Teredo, as a transition mechanism candidate for standards
track, is a good candidate for a 6bone prefix for testing/experimentation.
I also believe that, like all other 3FFE::/16 address space users, it must
be prepared to stop using this address space when the community decides to
terminate 3FFE::/16 usage in general.

Bob

===
>Subject: Prefix for Teredo
>Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:04:11 -0700
>From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>
>To: "Bob Fink" <fink@es.net>
>
>Bob,
>
>I am currently rewriting the Teredo draft to make it more IESG-friendly.
>To experiment with the new design, we will need a "reasonable" IPv6
>prefix. In the original draft, I requested a /16, but that is perhaps
>not realistic; in practice, I believe I could do with a /32. Is it
>possible to get an experimental /32 prefix from the 6BONE allocation?
-end