[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:21:47 -0700

> Pim Van Pelt wrote:
> So in short: somebody should be aggregating 2001:478::/32 so
> that I (and most probably several other European operators)
> will have a path to the aggregate and be able to reach the
> /48s in a proper, RFC obeying manner.

I agree.

> These, and all other more specifics in the 2001:478::/32 network,
> will be unreachable from my site(s). I do hope people are not
> planning to run public services such as looking glass or
> websites/whois servers in these networks ?

The problem is, they are.

> If so, those will not be reachable either for my customers, unless
> I can be somehow persuaded that IXPs are more special than other pigs.

This is really the core of the issue. IXPs do need a multihoming
solution. The way to get it is _not_ to break PA because there is no PI.

As I said many times before, any multihoming solution requires a clean
PA space to work, no holes, no specifics.

So please, we are not kids here. Instead of breaking things because they
don't work the way we would like, let's try to see a little farther on
the horizon and promote _aggregatable_ methods such as
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt.

Michel.