Little Problem

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:30:54 -0800

Robert,

>> Marc Blanchet wrote:
>> another twist on the same line, trying to help:
>> you could use private AS numbers to do peering for some reasons
>> however, to be a pTLA, then you need an allocated AS number, unique,
so
>> that your routes are tagged to you on the global routing table.

> Robert J. Rockell wrote:
> Optimally, if we follow *current* aggregation rules, one would never
> need an ASN, except in pTLA situation, as different block allocated
> per upstream 'provider'... so static routing works fine. Just my $.02

This is not correct. By looking at my own situation:
I am dual-homed (IPv6) to two different pTLAs (Viagenie and Caladan).
I have BGP peering with both using a private BGP ASN (#65432).

Although there are ways around that (complicated ones), the main reason
it
actually works is because nobody else is using that ASN.

World, please take note: ASN #65432 (easy to remember) is no longer
public
but now the exclusive property of Michel Py.
How easy, I did not even have to register for it hehehehe.

I have missed the beginning of this thread (maybe it started on a list
that I di not subscribe to), but in the current situation people that
are NOT pTLAs still need an ASN if there are multihomed.

Michel.