new 6bone pTLA prefix proposal, comments by 4 March 2002 please

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:55:11 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Michael Kjorling wrote:
> > We are seeing a recent increase in pTLA requests, and it prompts me to
> > recommend a change in pTLA prefix length to allow for future growth.
> > Basically I propose changing from the /28 prefixes we now allocate to /32:
>
> Just a reflection: why not change to a /35, which I believe is the
> normal production subTLA allocation? This would mean that when
> companies migrate to a production subTLA there will be significantly
> less work involved, as they can just hand out the very same NLA/SLAs
> but under the new prefix. Customers would have to renumber anyway, so
> there is little reason they cannot renumber to the same prefix, which
> still means changing only the first 48 bits of the address (plus
> *possibly* the SLA, but that would be unrelated to the prefix change).

Policy on /35 is in the process of being changed to something like /32.

Anyway.. if you want to make sure pTLA have easy transition path to
"sTLA", the size of pTLA should be no bigger than sTLA.  In that case,
just give /36 pTLA's.

In any cast, ISP's pTLA addressing is usually a mess (because it will
evolve during months and years) -- we, for example, definitely wanted to
re-do the addressing for most part.

But I'd tend to agree with Francis that there is no problem here.