new 6bone pTLA prefix proposal, comments by 4 March 2002 please

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:30:53 +0100

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   We are seeing a recent increase in pTLA requests, and it prompts me to
   recommend a change in pTLA prefix length to allow for future growth.

=> I can't see an emergency in the current allocation system:
if we use a A-B-C class-like system, we have 3FFE:8000::/28 to
3FFE:BFF0::/28 ie. 1024 /28s when only 54 are already allocated.
So we can wait for 400 new allocations before looking for something else.

   ===

   In addition, I would like you to consider some possible policy changes:

   1. requiring existing pTLA /24 and /28 holders to renumber to a new /32,
   unless justifying why it is not possible due to usage and/or address layout
   issues, within 6 months (12 months?) of the change in policy.

=> I understand that first comers have an unfair advantage but have
we got complains?

   2. encouraging pTLA holders to apply for a production subTLA allocation
   when they move to a fully production mode; requiring those charging for
   service to also apply for a production subTLA allocation; requiring the
   pTLA to be released within 6 months (12 months?) of acquiring a subTLA
   unless justifying why the pTLA allocation is still needed/required.

=> production subTLAs have very different usage policies than pTLAs,
for instance here we have 2 subTLAs and 1 pTLA, we'd like to keep
the pTLA for special cases, for instance when an individual asks
for a site prefix. You may not do such things for subTLAs... and
we (G6) can not apply for a subTLA because we are not an ISP.

   3. pTLA holders should not assign pTLA based allocations to paying
   customers except for early test/trial purposes.  paying customers should
   always receive RIR based allocations when service is not for test/trial
   purposes.

=> I agree: test/trial should always be free!

   4. requiring a restatement of pTLA usage and continuing need every 2 years.

=> this makes sense only with 5.

   5. requiring the return of a pTLA when it is no longer used by the original
   requesting entity. this is the de facto policy, but has not been stated
   previously.

=> I can't see a real need but I am by principle in favour of a real
management of resources.

Thanks

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr