(6bone) Ingress filtering (was: asymmetric routing)

Joel Baker lucifer@lightbearer.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:50:24 -0700

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:56:26PM -0800, Michel Py wrote:

> I am a protocol designer. One of the reasons I read and post to the
> 6bone mailing list is to get a feeling of how features or requirements
> will be perceived by the 6bone community, so I can decide to
> incorporate or not these features/requirements in my protocol.

Any protocol which does not support the ability to control traffic balance
to some degree... will just be ignored. After all, why should a business
spend millions of dollars to adopt a protocol which makes their connections
far less efficient?

On the other hand, there are protocols out there that do answer this issue,
used in combination with IPv6 (or even IPv4) PA space. However, until they
are widely adopted (read: part of the Windows network stack by default),
trying to convince a business to spend vast dollars to hurt it's own
interests is... well, just read the sentance. Anything which doesn't give
out PI space, and routes, to everyone who has them now, just isn't likely
to really fly.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/