[6bone] Address management transfer proposal

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:06:08 +0100

Anand Kumria wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Apparently comments about the proposed transfer are due in today, I've
> read most of the archive (most of the discussion took place
> in August) and
> here is my (completely biased) summary:
>
> Transfer to RIRs:
>
> Pros:
> 	- no single point of allocation
> 	- delegation of e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa
>
> Cons:
> 	- turns 3ffe::/16 into a service which requires payment

Who/what says/defines that suddenly one has to 'pay' for 6bone space?

> Keeping existing system:
>
> Pros:
> 	- no changes
>
> Cons:
> 	- may induce volunteer burnout
> 	- no e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa delegation
> 	- doesn't excourage migration to production IPv6 addresses

This would eNcourage migration to production IPv6 as the 6bone
would be 'harmed' by the nonexistent ip6.arpa delegation.
Also many people are moving on to RIR space, at least I think
that is what you mean that with 'production' IPv6.

> Some points I noted, my comments are under them:
>
> + RIRs have no incentive to pull-in IPv4 and hand-out IPv6; I
> think this will guarentee even slower IPv6 rollout

I think you are quite wrong here; See
http://www.ripe.net/ipv6/v6allocs.html
or http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/

IPv6 TLA's per country
Total number of countries: 49

The following prefixlengths are delegated by the RIR's:
 58x /24
 56x /28
240x /32
 55x /35

ripe:  140
6bone: 134
apnic:  93
arin:   42

Hmm 134 6bone TLA's and only 140+93+42 = 275 RIR TLA's... not enough? :)
Only the ARIN region is quite behind, but the others are growing
rapidly.

> It'd be nice if RIRs started to penalise their large transit/backbone
> operator for requesting IPv4 space but not have/using IPv6 space. It'd
> also be nice if pigs had wings too.

ISP's/Transit providers are BUSINESSES. They have to earn money.
And no you don't want to have pigs with wings either.

> + having the delegation, as far as I can tell, depend on migrating
> address management to the RIRs will only slow down IPv6 adoption.
>
> I help out on various irc channels people setup their tunnels; the
> hardest thing for most of them is to get reverse DNS gonig. When they
> discover that they have to do it twice (for ip6.int and ip6.arpa) most
> of them don't bother -- even if the work isn't much.

Give those people clue first and probably the only reason why they
want reverse is to 'look cool on irc'. That's not a reason to do IPv6.
One can IRC quite well with IPv4 too, but then those people will
complain as they don't have I.am.the.ipv6.rular.net or similar crap.

> Having the RIRs not delegate e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa means that
> support will be
> in place in a lot of OS for ip6.int for many years to come.

6bone is a testbed it ain't that critical.

> + ARIN (at least) have waived fees for IPv6 space until today
>
> it may be worthwhile seeing which way they (all RIRs) jump on
> pricing (too high and it'll discourage ISPs from taking that service).

6bone isn't just "free IP space for all"
Every RIR can have their own policies for delegating address space.

> + 6bone may not fall under the IETF IPv6 AD responsiblity; hence the
> desire to more it "somewhere approriate".

Could you translate that?

> + IPv6 is readily available, many people said "but I have native IPv6
> already".
>
> Unfortunately even within APNIC's region getting IPv6 service is hard;
> my ISP has as it's upstream AS701 and AS1221. Only AS1221 has IPv6
> production addresses (even that for only a year). Despite monthly
> emails and phone calls, the sales staff (both my ISP and AS1221's)
don't
> know what IPv6 is.

Get another uplink if you are not content with them.

> I'm not even sure if AS701 has IPv6 production addresses.
> Even worse is
> that the other major backbone with Australia (AS7474) hasn't even got
> any (6bone or production) IPv6 addresses.

Convince them that they should; they will probably have one big and
fairly good argument: Pay us.

> I feel that transferring the address allocation to RIRs (merely for
> the DNS delegation) will lead to the hastened end of the 6bone. We all
> realise the 6bone will, and must, go but I think it is too
> early at the moment.

I read this as "because I don't have ip6.arpa my irc doesn't work".
Well fortunatly for all the IRC and nice hostname users out there
most ircd's capable of IPv6 have a special "if 6bone then use ip6.int".
So your l337ish reverses will pop up quite nicely.

The rest of your message has nothing to do with ip6.arpa
unless you see 6bone space as 'free' IP space.
6bone is a testbed, not production, not commercial.

Greets,
 Jeroen