[6bone] Address management transfer proposal

Anand Kumria wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:16:00 +1100

Hi all,

Apparently comments about the proposed transfer are due in today, I've
read most of the archive (most of the discussion took place in August) and
here is my (completely biased) summary:

Transfer to RIRs:

Pros:
	- no single point of allocation
	- delegation of e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa

Cons:
	- turns 3ffe::/16 into a service which requires payment

Keeping existing system:

Pros:
	- no changes

Cons:
	- may induce volunteer burnout
	- no e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa delegation
	- doesn't excourage migration to production IPv6 addresses

Some points I noted, my comments are under them:

+ RIRs have no incentive to pull-in IPv4 and hand-out IPv6; I think this
will guarentee even slower IPv6 rollout

It'd be nice if RIRs started to penalise their large transit/backbone
operator for requesting IPv4 space but not have/using IPv6 space. It'd
also be nice if pigs had wings too.

+ having the delegation, as far as I can tell, depend on migrating
address management to the RIRs will only slow down IPv6 adoption.

I help out on various irc channels people setup their tunnels; the
hardest thing for most of them is to get reverse DNS gonig. When they
discover that they have to do it twice (for ip6.int and ip6.arpa) most
of them don't bother -- even if the work isn't much.

Having the RIRs not delegate e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa means that support will be
in place in a lot of OS for ip6.int for many years to come.

+ ARIN (at least) have waived fees for IPv6 space until today

it may be worthwhile seeing which way they (all RIRs) jump on pricing (too
high and it'll discourage ISPs from taking that service).

+ 6bone may not fall under the IETF IPv6 AD responsiblity; hence the
desire to more it "somewhere approriate".

+ IPv6 is readily available, many people said "but I have native IPv6
already".

Unfortunately even within APNIC's region getting IPv6 service is hard;
my ISP has as it's upstream AS701 and AS1221. Only AS1221 has IPv6
production addresses (even that for only a year). Despite monthly
emails and phone calls, the sales staff (both my ISP and AS1221's) don't
know what IPv6 is.

I'm not even sure if AS701 has IPv6 production addresses. Even worse is
that the other major backbone with Australia (AS7474) hasn't even got
any (6bone or production) IPv6 addresses.

I feel that transferring the address allocation to RIRs (merely for
the DNS delegation) will lead to the hastened end of the 6bone. We all
realise the 6bone will, and must, go but I think it is too early at the
moment.

I think the issue may be worth revisiting next year however.

Regards and enjoy your New Year.

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never