[6bone] 6bone registry -- dead or alive?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:43:54 +0100

Hank Nussbacher [mailto:hank@att.net.il] wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > Hank Nussbacher [mailto:hank@att.net.il] wrote:

<SNIP>

> > If I would read the messages coming into registry@ I would
> first think:
> > "What is it about, which handle, which name..." and then concluding:
> > "be more specific". Odd that that seems to be a trend for me.
>
> You never answered why my email went unanswered for 18 days.
> You could
> have easily answered the first time and stated the reply you
> stated above which would have elicited my reply below.

Ehmmm read again and maybe you will discover that I
don't read those mails addressed to that mailbox ;)
Note the "If I would read".

I just wanted to note you of the fact that without
sufficient information I wouldn't be able to sort it out and
probably the people really reading those mails couldn't either.
That doesn't explain the fact that you didn't get a reply though.

> > But seeing the error message you apparently tried to update a
> > pre-existing
> > and maintained handle which explains the "You are not
> authorized to do
> > network updates".
> > If you really want to update that handle you should add the relevant
> > maintainer
> > handle and password.
>
> From the New to 6bone - bootstrap process: "Create a PERSON
> object. Since
> you haven't had a MNTNER object yet, don't put anything in the mnt-by
> field."
>
> I go to:
> http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/cgi-> bin/registry/creform.pl and
> select
> "person".  I fill in
> name, address, phone, nic-hdl (AUTO-1 for new user),
> leave mnt-by blank, and fill in changed field and source.  I don't
> understand how AUTO-1 is being viewed as a preexisting
> handle.  I assume
> this registry follows RPSL rules and AUTO-1 is a valid nic-hdl for
> creating a new nic-hdl.
>
> I'll give the web interface one more chance after your response before
> giving up and trying the email interface.   -Hank

Indeed AUTO-1 should create a working person object and AUTO-1<INITIALS>
can be used for specifying ones own initial set.
As said, I would use the mailer interface, which the webfrontend uses
too.
See http://www.6bone.net/RIPE-registry.html, if that one doesn't work
then
the 6bone db itself is down along with it too.

Greets,
 Jeroen