[6bone] 6bone registry -- dead or alive?

Hank Nussbacher hank@att.net.il
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:40:52 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Hank Nussbacher [mailto:hank@att.net.il] wrote:

> > >As you are apparently not able to specify
> > >which handle's you triedetc you are out of luck.
> > >
> > >Also the web interface nicely states:
> > >8<--------------
> > >Questions or comments: registry@viagenie.qc.ca
> > >-------------->8
> >
> > Which is what I did on Dec 5 and I never received an answer:
> >
> > >Date: Thu, 05Dec 2002 08:38:30 +0200
> > >To: Simon Leinen <simon@limmat.switch.ch>, Dani Arbel
> > ><darbel@techunix.technion.ac.il>, registry@viagenie.qc.ca
> > <-------!!!!
> > >From: Hank Nussbacher <hank@att.net.il>
> > >Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: IPv6 and IUCC
> > >Cc:<ipv6@switch.ch>, yaron Zabary <yaron@aristo.tau.ac.il>

> > >I went to the site to create a person object for new users
> > as per stated at:
> > >http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/en/ipv6/registry/newusers.shtml
> > >and:
> > >http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/cgi-bin/registry/creform.pl
> > >and I get:
> > > From whois:
> > > From whois: % ERROR: ***You are not authorized to do
> > network updates***
> > > From whois:
> > > From whois: % ERROR: ***You are not authorized to do
> > network updates***
> > >
> > >What am I missing?
> > >
> > >-Hank
>
> If I would read the messages coming into registry@ I would first think:
> "What is it about, which handle, which name..." and then concluding:
> "be more specific". Odd that that seems to be a trend for me.

You never answered why my email went unanswered for 18 days.  You could
have easily answered the first time and stated the reply you stated above
which would have elicited my reply below.

> But seeing the error message you apparently tried to update a
> pre-existing
> and maintained handle which explains the "You are not authorized to do
> network updates".
> If you really want to update that handle you should add the relevant
> maintainer
> handle and password.

>From the New to 6bone - bootstrap process: "Create a PERSON object. Since
you haven't had a MNTNER object yet, don't put anything in the mnt-by
field."

I go to: http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/cgi-bin/registry/creform.pl and select
"person".  I fill in name, address, phone, nic-hdl (AUTO-1 for new user),
leave mnt-by blank, and fill in changed field and source.  I don't
understand how AUTO-1 is being viewed as a preexisting handle.  I assume
this registry follows RPSL rules and AUTO-1 is a valid nic-hdl for
creating a new nic-hdl.

I'll give the web interface one more chance after your response before
giving up and trying the email interface.   -Hank

> But we can't be sure of this guess because we don't know which handle
> you tried to use. And see if that really is the problem...
>
> > I still can't create a person object via the web interface. :-(
>
> Most people seem to like the mailer interface better ;)
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen

Hank Nussbacher