[6bone] freebsd src addr wrong

David Waitzman djw@bbn.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:36:25 -0500

I have a 6bone tunnel connection with a non-routed tunnel endpoint 2001::
address.  I also have an official 6bone 3ffe:: address, which is assigned
to one of my ether interfaces.

When I "ping6 www.kame.net" I see that my side of the tunnel is used as a
source address.  I don't get ping responses back (presumably because
www.kame.net does not know where to send responses, given that the address
it is getting is not routed).

If I do a ping6 -S, selecting my 6bone 3ffe:: address as the source, then
ping6 gets responses from kame just fine.

I am using FreeBSD 4.6.
We run Zebra-based BGP+ with our tunnel provider and thus have no default
route.

My questions:
1. Should tunnel endpoint addresses be routable?
2. Or how do I force FreeBSD to use the ether's IPv6 address as a source by
default?  (Not all applications have the equivalent of Ping6's -S option to
force the source address selection.)

-david waitzman