[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Jan Czmok czmok@gatel.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:03:56 +0200

Nicolas DEFFAYET (nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net) wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 18:37, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
> > One of the ways to promote IPv6 will be getting the address for free or for a REAL cost.
>
> Agree.

Also i strongly agree.

The original idea from RIPE (the "old" requirements for getting RIR IPv6
Allocations) was really good.

To outline it: to get real address space IPV6-blocks , you have to have 6bone address
space first and also a decent amount of time.

Some slight modification of this applied with the current policy WOULD
be better than the _now active_ policy. (but that's my opinion, anyway).

Another point on the whole discussion about productive systems + r&d
(e.g. 6bone).

Why not follow up on the following idea:

	- setup production networks
	- interconnect them to 6bone, but set the local-pref for the
	  routes lower than the production addresses.
	- apply strong filter towards the 6bone peers.

I am using this scenario at my ISP and i didn't have a single problem
with it.

> > And I'm ABSOLUTELY convinced it can be DONE with a lower price. I will prefer to be charged by each of the services provided by the
> > RIR (that I need to pay nevertheless I use or not), instead of a single annual fee, with has only two levels.
>
> It can be done with NO charges.

NO charges is too low. either raise the cost for ipv4 and lower these
for ipv6. Money must be involved - otherwise it would not work, because
otherwise there is no real _need_ (from the view of the big company
bozos) to change addresses or ipv4 to ipv6.

> > can force them to provide this free of charge and charge for OTHER real services). The IPv6 address space MUST be a global resource,

agree on this.

> > I always say IPv6 is FREEDOM, and following the same rule as in IPv4, it WILL NOT BE.

Well - the market will regulate. But we should be aware that the market
may go in other directions we want to. We ("the ISPS") are mainly having
it in our own hands.

> I think that it can be a good idea to not allow the business of IPs.

Also Agree on this !

--jan

--
     Jan Ahrent Czmok - Senior Network Engineer - Access Networks
Global Access Telecommunications, Inc. - Stephanstr. 3 - 60313 Frankfurt