[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:33:42 +0100

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 07:18:50PM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:

> >From the ARIN website:
>
> "Organizations approved for receiving the standard /35 initial IPv6
> allocation will be charged an annual fee of $2,500 (US). For larger
> amounts of addresses, a fee of $20,000 (US) will be assessed. These fees
> are payable prior to receiving the addresses and thereafter on the
> anniversary date of the initial allocation. However, IPv6 fees will not be
> charged to organizations that are current ARIN IPv4 subscription holders."
>
> As long as the current "if you're already paying us for v4 allocation(s),
> you don't pay more" holds true, I don't have a problem.
>
> I find it hard to swallow that there is $20,000USD worth of work involved
> with maintaining the whois database and two ip6.arpa records for each and
> every /32 v6 allocation.

I assume the above text should say "standard /32 initial IPv6 allocation"
and thus the "only" fees applicable for a new IPv6-only registrat would
be $2,500 US.

It would not be good for the 6bone to be liable to $2,500 per allocation,
given the finances behind an organistaion asking for production space as
opposed to one asking for 6bone space may well be very different.   Or
perhaps a deterrent to keep the "amateurs" away is good.

What's also interesting is where the SubTLA growth is happening.   From
snapshots I noticed:

	Jul-01	May-02	Aug-02	Last 3 months
RIPE	41	58	87	29
APNIC	31	56	76	20
ARIN	21	28	32	4

That's a 150% growth in APNIC in a year.

Does anyone have a monthly status?

Tim