[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:27:29 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 07:18:50PM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:
> >From the ARIN website:
>
> "Organizations approved for receiving the standard /35 initial IPv6
> allocation will be charged an annual fee of $2,500 (US). For larger
> amounts of addresses, a fee of $20,000 (US) will be assessed.

So go and tell ARIN that you don't like that.

In RIPE land, this is not the case. You pay annual fees for all services
altogether (which go up a bit if you have very much IPv4 space, which
*does* create extra work) and - right now - no extra costs for IPv6.

[..]
> As long as the current "if you're already paying us for v4 allocation(s),
> you don't pay more" holds true, I don't have a problem.

This is true in RIPE land.

> I find it hard to swallow that there is $20,000USD worth of work involved
> with maintaining the whois database and two ip6.arpa records for each and
> every /32 v6 allocation.

This is very much indeed, and I would not like that either.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  45583  (46871)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299