[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:18:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:01:33PM +0200, Francis Dupont wrote:
> > => one of the interest of IPv6 is to finish with this system of fees for
> > addresses. I am afraid that the current RIR monopoly will give at the end
> > something even nastier than ICANN.
>
> How do you propose to handle address management, reverse DNS management
> etc. without someone to take care of it (and get paid for it)?
>
> Gert Doering
>         -- NetMaster
> --
> Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  45583  (46871)
>
> SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
> Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
> 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299
>

>From the ARIN website:

"Organizations approved for receiving the standard /35 initial IPv6
allocation will be charged an annual fee of $2,500 (US). For larger
amounts of addresses, a fee of $20,000 (US) will be assessed. These fees
are payable prior to receiving the addresses and thereafter on the
anniversary date of the initial allocation. However, IPv6 fees will not be
charged to organizations that are current ARIN IPv4 subscription holders."

As long as the current "if you're already paying us for v4 allocation(s),
you don't pay more" holds true, I don't have a problem.

I find it hard to swallow that there is $20,000USD worth of work involved
with maintaining the whois database and two ip6.arpa records for each and
every /32 v6 allocation.

$10K USD for each /16 of v4 space seems a bit steep as well but such is
life.

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
EnterZone, Inc            | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |