[6bone] separating IPv6 experimental from production traffic

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:29:15 -0700 (PDT)

% At this stage I am only asking for separation of experiment from
% production. I am not saying anything yet about what prefixes to
% use where. I am also not saying yet what the experimental network
% (the 6bone) should be used for.  I guess all I am saying is: don't
% use the 6bone for production traffic. In my view in the new situation
% a site can have two kinds of peerings: 6bone peering or production
% peering. What should be prevented is traffic coming from the
% production network, going via the experimental network to a production
% destination.
%
% Comments?
%
% 	rvdp
% _______________________________________________

	Tell me how you propose to do this?
	If we want things to work, we need to use them.
	For myself, I find that the term "production"
	is vague at best.  I don't think we (as users
	of v6 protocols) can dictate such a change.
	A majority of my v6 peering/transit providers
	are -UNWILLING- to run infrastructure in dual-stack
	mode due to code/feature stability.  So there is
	a v4 suite of routers and a separate v6 suite of
	routers.  Until vendor code is -MUCH- more stable
	and the features are integrated, we will have
	this appearence of a "production" v4 network and
	an "experiemental" v6 network, at least as seen
	by a significant portion of the IP community (save JP).

	If we don't use(and fix) what we create, it will never
	be used.

--
--bill