[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
21 Aug 2002 00:51:14 +0100

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> writes:

> Agreed.  6bone is essential for those areas of the internet
> where the "normal" providers do not offer ipv6 yet.

6bone is a major source of instability for the production IPv6 network
and thus hinders deployment of IPv6.

You cannot seriously recomment anyone to trust production services to
a network in which a single faulty BGP implementation can and does
repeatedly bring down half the network (as recenty seen by AS1654).

> It would be a shame if the ipv6 community would kick it's
> current user community out the door...

There's now a lot of production IPv6 connectivity available, and I'm
pretty sure that the backbone which now deploy IPv6 natively can agree
to provide sufficient IPv6 connecticity, in return for a stable
network.

I don't see much need for an integrated extensively tunneled
experimental-software IPv6 network any more.

Well-controlled end sites and address allocation to them for
experimental purposes is a different story, but them must be isolated
so they cannot wreak havoc to the rest of the world.

Robert