[6bone] Re: Cisco support

Paul Aitken paitken@cisco.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:22:22 +0100

Michel,

> You don't get it, do you. What if individuals that happen to work for
> Microsoft came posting each time someone said "Microsoft sucks" on a
> public forum?

Sure, it'd be a pain. But if Microsoft had an email address for
reporting IPv6 bugs that perhaps folks didn't know about, then I for one
would sure like to know so I could send my report there in the hope that
someone would look at it and maybe do something about it. (Well, I would
if I used Windows).

But, as far as I know - and I stand ready to be corrected here -
Microsoft doesn't offer you the same level of direct access to their
developers that Cisco does. Good for them if they do; I'd like to hear
about it because sometimes folks as us (cisco) whether we know how to
configure IPv6 stuff on a windows box.

> People that post here typically know what Cisco's IPv6 support email
> address is

Possibly true, but interestingly enough we just received a few emails
(some to me, some to ipv6-support) in the vein "well now I know who to
ask, let me ask you this..." - which I think is great because instead of
sitting out there completely stuck, folks now know a place they can ask
their question and (I hope) receive a sensible answer.

> if they feel like contacting Cisco support they will do it
> on their own and I say again that you have no business reminding it
> publicly to the list.

Well, hopefully next time someone finds their cisco router doing
something unusual IPv6 wise and posts here, some non-cisco person will
say "hey, you know you can get right in touch with the guys that wrote
that stuff and ask them about it".

Cheers.
--
Paul Aitken
IPv6 Development, Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland. EH6 6LX