[6bone] pTLA request by Euro6IX project for exchange experimentation - review closes 3 Sep 2002

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:14:37 -0700

6bone Folk,

The Euro6IX Project has requested a pTLA allocation and I find their
request consistent with 6bone goals and with merit. In specific, it is the
first attempt to try the new type of exchange-based aggregation talked
about in RFC2374, "An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format".
Please see their request below.

<http://www.euro6ix.org/>

There is to date no specific Euro6IX entity operational on the 6bone as the
partners and participants in the Euro6IX project have all the IPv6
experience from their own entities. I don't view this as a shortcoming as
the Euro6IX folk are highly IPv6 experienced.

I would hope that this project would result in clearer understanding of the
issues and practices involved with exchange-based aggregation for the
future use in the IPv6-based Internet.

I would also appreciate discussion of any considerations that we should be
aware of as a 6bone test project.

The open review period for this will close 3 September 2002. Please send
your comments to me or the list.

Thanks,

Bob

===
From: "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
Subject: pTLA request by Euro6IX project for exchange experimentation
Euro6IX is working on two IX scenarios, and is requesting a 6Bone pTLA in
order to carry out the second scenario below:

The first scenario would be very similar to the classical conception of the
IX where the providers' routers are directly connected to the second layer
infrastructure. In this scenario, the router linking the IXs between each
other belongs to the domain administratively managed by the Telco owning
that IX. So an intra-domain routing protocol could be run on this router to
exchange reachability information with those IX routers belonging to the
same administrative domain. In this case, for our scopes, a /48 IPv6 prefix
per IX could be enough to number the devices in each IX. The Telco owning
the IX will manage the its pTLA or sTLA to number the IX devices.

The second scenario considers on a new conception of the IX based on the
so-called "layer 3 mediation function". This new role is based on the
possibility, from the IX to assign IPv6 prefixes independent of the
provider. In this case, each customer accessing the IX chooses the provider
(one or more) and the IX assigns them the IPv6 prefixes. If a customer
decides to change the provider, it does not have to change IPv6 prefixes,
because they are provider independent and are assigned by that particular
IX. In this scenario, the router linking the IXs between each other can
belong to a different administrative domain than that managed by Telco
owning the IX. So an inter-domain routing protocol could run on this router
to exchange routing information with the IX routers belonging to other
administrative domains. In this scenario, the Euro6IX is the owner of the
pTLA used to assign prefixes to each IX user.

-end