[6bone] semi-newbie Q on IPv6 address planning

Joao Luis Silva Damas joao@ripe.net
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:14:37 +0200

At 7:43 +1000 1/8/02, Philip Smith wrote:
>Nick,
>
>In addition to the other answers:
>
>rfc2374 is basically out of date - the terminology and boundaries
>referring to TLA, NLA etc are not applicable any more. So, your /32
>is yours to subdivide as you wish - the minimum amount you give to
>any site is a /48, you use /64 for point-to-point links (and as
>Michel said, pick a /48 block to number your p-t-p links out of -
>which gives you 65k p-t-ps).

Indeed, and that is my concern. The experts are referring people to
outdated documents describing features that in some cases the WG has
dropped *years* ago (TLA, NLA, the 8 bit reserved field).

Why not point people to draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-08.txt and
have the WG get that doc to be an RFC as soon as possible.

And by the way, a /126 is perfect for Point-to-point and yes, we also
reserve a /48 to carve bits and pieces for these purposes. We use a
/48 because that way things are kept consistent and operational
errors are minimised (and keeping my netowrk operational is far more
important than any other consideration).

Joao