[6bone] Re: routing concern

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:24:47 -0700

> Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> Look at the OS mailing lists. End users are disabling
> IPv6 in their OS because it does not work.

It does not work because there is no killer app, and no money to make it
work. Especially in the US, the common thinking is "why bother with
IPv6?" It does not bring money, and does not solve much of the v4
issues.

> We don't need a stable IPv6 network tomorrow. We need it today.

Your $10 Billion donation to build it is appreciated.

> Or is it becoming a network for doing IPv6 related
> experiments?

It has always been, IMHO.

> We may need such a network in the next few years for doing
> (possibly disruptive) testing (multihoming, completely new
> addressing and/or routing, etc.)

And we *will* need these experiments.

How do you expect IPv6 to be stable without a multihoming solution? A
significant part of the crap we see in the routing table is the direct
consequence of the lack of a multihoming solution.

It all comes down to money. No operator is going to build an IPv6
infrastructure without knowing the outcome of the multihoming solution,
as they don't want to do the job twice, especially when there is no
money to pay for it.

Michel.