about IPv6 PPPoE

Antonio Querubin tony@lava.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:47:06 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> there's a difference between a user's perspective and service
> provider.  i was stating the service provider side.  bridged dsl is
> grandfathered, being phased out, and all new deployment for the past
> couple of years has been pppoe at the sp i'm most familiar with.  the
> issues are around management and scalability of the service.

Actually we've found that bridged DSL is simpler than PPPOE.  That
simplicity leads to easier scalability because nothing special needs to be
done on the client side for even the less popular OS just to get online.
That's from the user perspective.  The less the user has to do to get
online, the better.  That also leads to lower support costs on the service
provider side.