6bone Database cleansing?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:41:11 +0200

Blechinger Robert [mailto:rblechinger@cybernet-ag.net] wrote:

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> >
> > As I was about to create a nice 'ping-over-the-6bone' tool for
ourselfs
> > (IPng.nl) I first tested how many of the hosts actually where alive.
> > With 'hosts' I mean the 'application: ping' lines found in the
nightly
> > 6bone.db.
> >
> > I passed all these hosts to a patched version of fping6 which skips
> > hosts without addrinfo (no AAAA ;)
>
> i have to aggree, there where many "application" lines with no AAAA
> record. i think some people doesn't know how to use this application
> entries.

that's not what I meant, no addinfo means that a hostname's IPv6 address
is not available in the DNS.
eg:
"application: ping 3ffe:8114::1"
or
"application ping ping.ipng.nl"

Will both be 'correct' and work. But if I put a:
"application: ping ping.example.org"
it won't resolve, which is what the "no addrinfo" simply points out;
that there completely is no knowledge about a hostname.
Thus one can conclude that those hosts simply aren't maintained -> and
thus that those 6bone entries aren't maintained either.

> > jeroen@tunnelserver:~$ cat output.txt | grep "no addrinfo" | wc -l
> >     329
>
> 791 ping entries, 329 of them have no AAAA records.. that's are 41,6
percent!!
> in my view, this is a little bit to high ;)
>
> maybe there should some checks when sending the template to
> the 6bone.db
No there should be a cleanup every month, and if a entry seems invalid,
the tech-c etc should be contacted,
after 4 months of no reply they should be sacked. Ofcourse one could
argue that historic items should be conserved.
Then again we could also keep an archive of 6bone.db.gz's per month,
before they are cleansed.

Greets,
 Jeroen