[OT] IPv6 applications in active use

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-6bone@litech.org
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:27:55 -0400

--4ZLFUWh1odzi/v6L

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:22:12AM -0500, Ben Winslow wrote:
> Jeroen's post sparked interest in knowing what people are currently
> using with IPv6 support on a regular basis.

It's much easier to immerse yourself in IPv6 when you're not using
Windows.  IPv6-accessible services running on my Linux workstations and
servers are HTTP, NNTP, DNS, FTP, SSH, IDENT, Telnet, SMB, LDAP, CVS,
IMAP, SMTP, POP3, and Kerberos.  Even user information is distributed from
the central server using LDAP, and clients use Kerberos for
authentication, all over IPv6.  The remarkable part is that, with the
exception of Samba, all of these daemons are available with IPv6 support
either with RedHat 7.2 or directly from the application author.  Samba is=
=20
the only package that needed a third-party patch.  Hopefully that will be=
=20
resolved in Samba 3.0.

The only services I use that don't have IPv6 support are CUPS, X, and VNC. =
=20
IPv6 VNC would be really nice on the Windows side, but considering that
Windows support for everything is so unbelievably weak right now I'm not
surprised.  I can't hardly make myself more IPv6-y without Microsoft's=20
help.  :-/

> Mail is one place I'd like to see IPv6 support improve for.  Do any MTAs
> besides Exim support IPv6?  What MUAs support IPv6?

Sendmail has IPv6 support.  RedHat has been shipping an IPv6-enabled=20
Sendmail since 7.0.  Courier's SMTP server, as well as the rest of the=20
Courier package, supports IPv6.  I believe qmail and Postfix require=20
patches, but I'm not so familiar with those packages.

> ssh, HTTP, and nfs make up the majority of my traffic, so I'm more or
> less content.

It would be nice to have an IPv6-enabled NFS client/server for Linux, but=
=20
I don't care that much since I don't use NFS personally.  -Nathan

--=20
| Nathan Lutchansky | lutchann@litech.org |  Lithium Technologies  |
|  I dread success.  To have succeeded is to have finished one's   |
|  business on earth...  I like a state of continual becoming,     |
|  with a goal in front and not behind. - George Bernard Shaw      |

--4ZLFUWh1odzi/v6L

--4ZLFUWh1odzi/v6L--