pTLA request SSVL - review closes 3 May 2002

Joel Baker lucifer@lightbearer.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:13:16 -0600

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:16:13PM +0200, Bjorn Pehrson wrote:
> Pekka,
>
> Yes, SSVL is an independent research network. I know of other such
> networks although it is fairly few, not thousands. Since 1996, it is
> used by several universities and non-academic organizations to do
> various types of research that are impossible or hard to do in regular
> networks. Due to the topology of the network, AS8973 was granted us in
> 1998. Due to the nature of our experiments, we moved from KTH address
> space to 192.16.124.0/22 in 2000, not to cause problems with aggregation.
> Since some time, the focus has shifted towards ipv6 interchange and
> global  interdomain issues which require access to the TLA level. I do
> consider this a valid reason.
> Sunet do provide addresses, altough they do not yet forward packets,
> but, as far as I know, they cannot provide a TLA-prefix for us.

And thus, we once again see evidence that the notion of hierarchial routing
is never going to fly without an enforced mandate... or everyone with an AS
will want a TLA which can be routed arbitrarily.

Yes, I know there's a multihoming draft. As it's name implies, it's.. well,
a draft. And none of the various multi-address-capable protocols are even
remotely close to wide adoption yet.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/