A DNS question re 6to6/IPv6 host IN A records.

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:53:43 +0200

Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > >In the forward/reverse zones on a 6to4 setup, should I have
> > >nanguo          IN A                203.1.96.5
> > >nanguo-v6      IN AAAA         2002:cb01:6005:2::1
> > >or
> > >nanguo          IN A                203.1.96.5
> > >nanguo          IN AAAA         2002:cb01:6005:2::1
> > >When referring to the particular host ?
> > >Either works - but which is ... errr... correct?
> >
> > 	i recommend the latter, definitely.  with the latter
> you will be able
> > 	to transition to IPv6 much smoother.
>
> That is true, but it may have it's drawbacks.  Often, still, IPv6
> connectivity is worse than with IPv4.  People who are
> dual-stack will use IPv6 when trying to reach 'nanguo'.  It may be
more unoptimal yet.
Sorry to say it but I really think it's a load of B.S.... in my opinion
anyways.
Most hosts I 'use' most of they day and that are IPv6 connected are as
close as when I would use IPv4.
I use IPv6 transparently fortunatly so I usually don't even notice the
difference between IPv6 and IPv4.

Remote hosts (non-european :) though are flaky sometimes. Certainly this
would improve very much
when all those tunnels crossing multiple AS's dissappear, it will take
some time but it will come one day ;)
Ofcourse I am fortunatly on the cool side of the pond and we do actually
get native uplinks here.
Even though my first hop isn't ready yet, it's only 1 hop, 20ms in IPv4
and 20ms in IPv6.

KAME is about 300ms 'away' from Holland most of the times in both IPv4
and IPv6, so I wonder why IPv6 has 'drawbacks' over IPv4.

> For conservative IPv6 adoption, I recommend the former (at least
first).
> For more radical IPv6 adoption, and for non-production services, the
> latter is usually more suitable.
The second is certainly production capable. Why should it be
"non-production" anyways.
Okay 6bone isn't 'production quality' maybe as it's ofcourse testing
grounds, but IPv6 is.

PS: Check http://isoc.nl/activ/2002-Masterclass-IETF-IPv6.htm for a
great presentation given by Steve Deering in Amsterdam yesterday at the
WTCW (AMS-IX grounds).
Slide 50 shows a pragmatic projection of IPv6 deployment with the US
tagging behind Asia for about 2.5 years and 1.5 years behind Europe!
I sure hope that changes quite soon over there.

Greets,
 Jeroen