A DNS question re 6to6/IPv6 host IN A records.

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:53:40 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >In the forward/reverse zones on a 6to4 setup, should I have
> >nanguo          IN A                203.1.96.5
> >nanguo-v6      IN AAAA         2002:cb01:6005:2::1
> >or
> >nanguo          IN A                203.1.96.5
> >nanguo          IN AAAA         2002:cb01:6005:2::1
> >When referring to the particular host ?
> >Either works - but which is ... errr... correct?
>
> 	i recommend the latter, definitely.  with the latter you will be able
> 	to transition to IPv6 much smoother.

That is true, but it may have it's drawbacks.  Often, still, IPv6
connectivity is worse than with IPv4.  People who are dual-stack will use
IPv6 when trying to reach 'nanguo'.  It may be more unoptimal yet.

For conservative IPv6 adoption, I recommend the former (at least first).
For more radical IPv6 adoption, and for non-production services, the
latter is usually more suitable.

YMMV.