Newbie starting point :) WAS: WAS... Re: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:02:17 +0200

Dave wrote:

> Nope, you're _not_ alone.  In fact, you've had much more luck than
> I've had.  I finally gave up on getting it to work serveral
> months ago,
<SNIP>

Wellps, I've changed the subject to the not very subtile 'newbie
starting point'.
I hope nobody gets offended by that but here we go:

For linux it's all quite easy, simply read Peter Bieringer's FAQ at:
http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/index.html

It mentions about everything, if you aren't comfortable with compiling
your own tools,
you can ofcourse always use things like Debian and/or RedHat, especially
Debian is quite nice as it has all the tools in it.
(apt-get install traceroute6 etc ;) Oh and I shouldn't forget mentioning
the Polish Linux Distribution (www.pld.org.pl/)
Who have IPv6 as default and many patches for programs come from their
hand! (RPM based distro btw ;)
I personally favor Debian, but that's all about taste.
If you want to compile things yourself you can ofcourse always steal the
tarballs from the Debian servers.
ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/linux/debian/pool/main/i/iputils/iputils_200
20124.orig.tar.gz or other mirrors.
These are the original tarballs, so simply check www.debian.org which
package contains what and leech the tarball.

Net/Free/Open/*/BSD: default support for IPv6 or simply leech the KAME
iso's (www.kame.net)

And about getting an uplink to the rest of the IPv6 world:
http://dmoz.org/editors/editcat.cgi?cat=Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/
IPng/IPv6_Access_Providers

and for all the news & many tunnels providers:
http://hs247.com
which is a good place to start too as it has many links to all kinds of
IPv6 related stuff.

So where is the problem ? :)

Greets,
 Jeroen