WAS... Re: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Dave dave@dave.tj
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:59:23 -0400 (EDT)

Nope, you're _not_ alone.  In fact, you've had much more luck than
I've had.  I finally gave up on getting it to work serveral months ago,
only posting comments to that effect every so often (when somebody
else posted here asking how to get his f---in' system connected) since.
I've read through every last bit of documentation I've been able to locate
(of which there's no lack, if you search Yahoo!), but all of it is either
targetted at FreeBSD or rc.config-based GNU/Linux systems.  The Slackware
forum disappeared quite a few months ago, and the USAGI folks are too
busy coding to be able to offer any real help.  Further complicating
the issue is the fact that my Linux kernel supposedly already _has_
IPv6 (and indeed, I'm supposed to be able to ping6 ::1/128 - something I
was only able to verify a couple of months ago, after officially giving
up, since I happend to stumble into a ping6 binary I had lying around
from a SuSE on one of my old systems; I have yet to find a telnet,
traceroute, telnetd, or any other app I can use to figure out what's
up with my IPv6 config, and using anything but loopback for _anything_
is basically out-of-the-question, simply because I have no clue where
to start ... I'll tackle IPv6 Internet connectivity after getting one
or more of my own networks working on IPv6).

I also know a few others who can tell similar tales.  They just aren't
even subscribed to this list anymore.  (I only read this list because I'm
too lazy to unsubscribe - and maybe because I subconsciously hope that
somebody, somewhere, someday might be willing to take the 20 minutes
necessary to explain the HOWTO aspects of configuring a system to use
IPv6, as well as answering my syscall-related questions (which have
prevented me from writing my own programs to test out the network,
thus far).

To top off my annoyance, the latest brand spankin' new Linux/POSIX
edition of the Comer&Stevens volume 3 of Internetworking with TCP/IP
doesn't even mention the existance of IPv6 (!?!) - certainly you weren't
expecting it to provide any details of programming for IPv6, eh?

A rather frusterated IPv6 non-user,
Dave Cohen <dave@dave.tj>