bad tunnel topology

Bill Owens owens@nysernet.org
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:14:48 -0400

At 10:34 AM -0700 4/10/02, Michel Py wrote:
>Who cares if my average RTT to Viagénie is 92ms? Not me. There are
>ways to adjust network latency in Quake v6 (the only IPv6 real
>application as of today, I think?)

In order to get full throughput on the v6 newsfeed I have with the
University of Oregon, we had to run 12 parallel connections. In
principle a single TCP stream with gigantic buffers would have
worked, but the newsfeed machine wasn't able to be tuned for
administrative reasons, and we had over 300ms RTT.

We're down to 90ms now, thanks to some manual topology tuning. But at
this point I'm sufficiently sick of working through the underlying v4
topology of the tunnels that I'm waiting for further improvements
until Abilene is able to run native v6. Soon. . .

Bill (who is currently running native v6)