Linux Help for ipv6

Justin Hammond fish@dynam.ac
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:10:14 +0800

Ok,
I'll see if you can help me.

I have setup a IPV6 Tunnel and requested a subnet to my local lan.
I'm using a Linux box running Kernel 2.4.9 on a Sparc as the gateway, and
have several internal PC's and Servers (Win2k, NT4.0, Redhat's etc etc etc)
and I've setup the gateway according to the howto on
www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/

(I wanted to use the usagi kernel, as I understand it has improved ipv6
support, but the stable release kernel they have won't run on my sparc box,
and the latest snapshot usually locks up, so I'm using a stock standard
kernel, and the reason I'm using Linux, is I need to be able to firewall,
and as far as I know, no other *nix or *bsd has stable firewall code, not to
mention this is a production machine!)

All is fine from the gateway, I can ping6 most of the 6bone sites I can find
from both the Tunnel endpoint address, and also one of the Ip's that is
included in my subnet routed to me.
I've also setup radvd and it is handing out the prefix and routing
information to the other pc's on the network.
ipv6 forwarding has also been enabled on the box

This is the problem I have:

from any other PC on the internal network, I cant connect/ping past the
gateway, *unless* I go to the gateway and ping the host first.
then for a period of about 30 seconds, I can connect/ping only the host that
I pinged from the gateway, but no other host past my gateway.
after about 30 Seconds, any connections I have get droped. (for eg, right
now, I have a ping script running in a loop, just so I can do some
application testing!)

The internal machines have the locallink ip address as the default gateway
(fe80::a00:20ff:fec2:ad90)
even if I manually add the global ip address, still no luck, I always get
Destination Unreachable back from the "global" ip address of the gateway

I'm not trying to do anything fancy with Mobile IP or anything, I just want
these hosts to be accessable via IPv6.

I got a feeling either I'm doing somthing stupid (as I understand it, this
is something to do with Neighbour Solicitation, I read the RFC's but alas,
no help)
or there is a bug with my distro.

Thanks

Justin