Linux route question

Flavio Villanustre lists@geminis.myip.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:41:37 -0300 (ART)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Matthew Harrell wrote:

> Can I ask a quick routing question of you?  Does the 2000::/3 work because
> you're matching traffic that starts with 001 (in binary)?  Are there any

yes, it matchs whatever that starts with binary 001.

> destinations outside of 001 that I would currently have to worry about?  I'm
> only just getting into this so I'm not very familiar with the network
> designations.

None, AFAIK.

from pTLA formats document:

The original TLA and NLA ID-s as specified in [AGGR] are as follows:
         | 3 |  13 |          32         |   16   |    64 bits      |
         +---+-----+---------------------+--------+-----------------+
         |001| TLA |       NLA ID        | SLA ID | Interface ID    |
         +---+-----+---------------------+--------+-----------------+

Additionally:

Therefore, the first 12-bits of the NLA ID space are assigned as the pTLA
that defines the top level of aggegation (backbone) for the 6bone. This
would eventually provide for 4096 6bone backbone networks, or pTLA-s, and
leaves a 20-bit pNLA ID for each pTLA to assign as needed.
         |     16    |   12  |   20      |   16   |    64 bits      |
         +-+---------+-------+-----------+--------+-----------------+
         |  0x3FFE   | pTLA  |   pNLA    | SLA ID | Interface ID    |

Sample IPv6 address:

        3FFE:8000:0001/48
 6bone _|||| |||| ||||___site
             |||| |