BOUNCE 6bone@zephyr.iipv6 DNS servers

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:09:13 +0100

Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu> wrote:

> % On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 07:02:08AM -0600, Todd T. Fries wrote:
> % > We do not currently support these new ipv6 dns servers.
> At this time there
> % > is no estimated date on when we will support them.
> %
> % WTH are ipv6 DNS Servers?
> %
> % 	-mc
>
> 	IPv6 DNS servers are DNS servers that speak DNS on an IPv6
stack.
> 	Most DNS servers todate are IPv4 speakers only.  There are some
> 	servers that speak both v4 and v6 and some experimental systems
> 	that speak IPv6 only.  If there is interest in native v6
speaking
> 	DNS service for the whole DNS heirarchy, please let me know.

Ofcourse this would be a great thing to have the root servers available
over IPv6 without having to depend on IPv4.
For the coming 20 years or something it will be inevitable to have them
speaking IPv4 too ofcourse...
But having at least a couple of them doing 'native' IPv6 would be a
great thing IMHO.
So a dualstacked root server would be great and a small step for IPv6
but a big step into the future... ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen